Sell a Business
Horizon Business Group offers sellers:
- Confidentiality in marketing – Realizing that the peaceful continuity of a business is vital to a business owner, all marketing materials are developed in a manner to protect the identity and proprietary information of the seller. Potential buyers are screened to ascertain that their intent is truly serious and committed to purchasing a business. These buyers are then required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement before being allowed to review any confidential information of the business.
- “Real” business evaluation – Prior to the signing of a listing agreement, an estimate of business value is made of your business to determine what market price is obtainable in today’s economic environment. Based on the last three (3) years of financial performance of the company, which is evidenced by filed tax returns, the business owner has the upfront knowledge of what he can reasonably expect to receive in net proceeds from the completed sales transaction. An extensive interview process and industry analysis is completed to enable the professionals of HBG have a grasp of the industry and business specifics before the listing period begins.
- Locating prospective buyers – Locating business buyers is a very labor intensive activity. Confidentiality is a must, so great care must be taken to keep the identity and exact location of the business confidential until after a serious prospective buyer has executed a confidentiality agreement.
- Contact and meetings with buyers – Horizon Business Group professionals will have several contacts and meetings with a prospective buyer before that buyer is introduced to the seller. The purpose of this is two-fold. First, it avoids wasting the seller’s valuable time and allows him/her to remain focused on running the business. Secondly, it further protects the confidential and proprietary information of the business until it is deemed that the prospective buyer is serious about making an acquisition.
- Negotiation Assistance – During the process of selling a business of any size, many complex issues will be encountered that may each have a material impact on the success of the transaction. Sellers will find it difficult to remain neutral after investing their entire lives and financial resources in growing their business. The experienced business intermediaries of Horizon Business Group will add much value to the entire process as well smoothing out the emotionally charged event.
- Coordination of Related Professionals – The “team” approach to structuring the transaction for the Seller is important. HBG urges the participation of the Seller’s financial and legal counselors in the deal structure so that the price to be received and the terms agreed to are the best possible from a taxation position for the Seller/client. Horizon Business Group has the expertise in applying a wide variety of strategies to result in the maximum return to the shareholders.
The Process of Selling Your Business:
- Initial Meeting
- Business Evaluation
- Listing Agreement
- Marketing Materials
- Confidential Marketing Plan
- Negotiation and Closing
Business Valuations can be used for a variety of reasons:
- Estate and gift tax planning and filing
- Shareholder / partner buy-outs
- Credit and lending
- Establishment of measurement points and progress
- Sale of the business
- Numerous other reasons
Find answers to common questions for Business Sellers: